Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2008

RockstarVille

I’m sitting at the airport currently, typing on my computer, rockin’ my BOSE enormous headphones playing everything from a Rob Bell sermon to the new Lupe Fiasco CD. I can’t help but laugh at myself. With a copy of the newest Vanity Fair in my bag next to my Bible and a book about heaven, I wonder who I am. Where did I come from?

Uncoincidentally, this is a common theme in my life these days, questioning why I live in Chicago, how I got here, and how my life has so oddly been woven together perfectly.

My kids I teach were guessing where I am from the other day, they guessed about every state besides Oklahoma. (It’s not the most thought of state in Chicago by 7 year olds apparently… though I don’t know why.) One girl, Aja, looked at me,

“I know where you from! Rockstar-ville.”

Bingo. I went with it for a while, the kids so badly wanted it to be truth, something so exciting and so revealing. They wanted me to pop out with mad vocals and jump on top of the cafeteria tables and jam out. (Or maybe that's just me...) If I look cute at work, my kids constantly tell me I look like a rock-star. I found out recently that black people are pop stars, and white people are rock-stars… according to Aja that is.

I am so curious that Aja referenced my origins with my appearance. A white girl who dresses funny and has long hair… must be from Rockstar-ville.

But I’m from Oklahoma, and my origins come from somewhere much deeper than Sequoyah Middle School where Hip-Hop saved my life, college where Vanity Fair opened my eyes to the glamour of politics, and Kanakuk that taught me to read the Bible for myself.

"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Phillipians 1:6

Sweet Sanctification. God began a good work in me the moment I trusted Him. And daily He is working inside of me, uniting all that I need for a hope and a future with Him.

So who knows where my material self has stemmed from, the vast world we live in contributes daily to my outerwear, but as for my internal make-up... there is one simple answer. God has created me. Not only has he created me perfectly, but he is completely sovereign over everything that I take in daily.

He has set me up for success.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

I finally got into Grad School this week. I feel so blessed to have a God who has worked on me for years to prepare me for my future in Art Therapy, inside and out. God is sovereign, over the insides and outsides of our feeble bodies, working everything for the good of those who love Him.

No comments:

Me.

My photo
Chicago
I like to dance all night, and some of the day.