Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I need LOVE

I love going to the bookstore. I love walking around, watching people, reading magazines, and finding new books. I feel anonymous and peaceful, away from anyone who knows me (besides Shawn who works there... we went to high school together.)

Today, after a conversation with a friend over lunch, I was inspired to check out the new Christian books on political and social issues. Many are common these days with the election so close... As I was gazing, I was surprised to fumble upon many with the common theme, I like Jesus but not the Church.

One was titled, Lord Save Me From Your Followers. A few were about how my generation is appalled by the church. I must say, it is absolutely refreshing to hear these things. I flipped through a few of them, hitting on the issues regarding homosexuality, love, republicans vs. democrats, and how we have deviated from what Jesus did while on earth.

Haven't we though? Are we like Jesus? A lot of people like Jesus, a lot of people hate Christians. How did this happen?

I confess, I am judgmental and not loving to people who condemn Non-Christians, the "fundamentalist" Christians who are unwilling to love the drunks and sexually deviant, those who fail to listen to a Buddhist's story. I hate Christians who don't love people well, who don't follow Jesus' lead when giving us one solitary command, Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind and with all your strength. And love your neighbor as yourself.

I type that and conviction reigns in my fingers. Why would it be okay for me to not love these Christians? I too am called to love...everyone! I should no more hate that sin in people, than the sin of gluttony in the guy next door. I should show the same grace I show to the prostitute as I do to the judgmental Christian. Lord teach me to love these people who are so hard for me to love. Help me to pour out the grace you have shown me onto those who desperately need to be re-touched by your love, that first love that reminds us of how little we deserve and much you have poured out anyways.

I know this problem is among my generation, we desperately want love. (History must repeat itself.. thanks to the Beatles.. all we need is love, dadadananaan.) We hate the church, because we feel like they are pushing away those who need Jesus the most. Agreed, but how should we approach this?

I urge us to think about what St. Augustine nobly said, "The church is a whore, but she's my mother." The Church has been unfaithful as the bride of Christ, but she is still your mother! The Church is the body of Christ, we are the church. We have to love other Christians, we have to love the church. Look at where she has gotten us! Where would we be without her? We would not know nearly as much about God as we do! We as Christians have been unfaithful to Christ, all of us... those of us who have little 'issues' and those of us who can't walk in somewhere without being pegged as a mess. We are all the unfaithful bride.

My goal, for myself, is to love the Church. To love and pour out grace as quickly on those Christians I love to hate as I do on every sinner I encounter in a bar...

No comments:

Me.

My photo
Chicago
I like to dance all night, and some of the day.