Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

No thing outside of the text?

I have recently re-found the joy in art, in just making things. My hands can't get enough of it. All I want to do is make stuff. Journals, boxes, constructing things, painting things... I just want to create.

I'm writing my thesis using a deconstructionist theory, so I've been reading a lot of Derrida and very exciting literature, or lack there of. It's been an interesting process for me... being that I'm not naturally a philosophical person. One definition of deconstruction is: the disassembling and examining of taken-for-granted assumptions... wow. What a thought. How often do I walk through the day, allowing my assumptions to hinder the true design of life. Of people, of creation, of everyday objects that I consistently take for granted.

I love purity. I love elements being broken down into their simplest form, and then re-assembling those elements to form newness.

I think this is what we are supposed to daily, this is non-judgment at its core.

Derrida said, "There is nothing outside the text."

How often do we judge people by their outward appearance... based on the stunted knowledge we have formed through news, media, and our past. What if we approached everyone with the intention of there being nothing outside the person. No outside thoughts to influence how we digest them, just them. Just that person in front of us. Acceptance.

Create. The need to create. Love. The need to love. Acceptance. The need to be accepted.

No comments:

Me.

My photo
Chicago
I like to dance all night, and some of the day.