Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Maybe God is in the small, seemingly irrelevant happenings of our mundane days. I'd like to think so anyways.

Everything has some sort of spiritual essence in my life from the song on my ipod, to getting the last cup of coffee--it seems to me that God is with me throughout my very important life. I was listening to a John Mayer song Vultures and it hit me how spiritual it was.

Down to the wire
I wanted water but
I'll walk through the fire
If this is what it takes
To take me even higher
Then I'll come through, Like I do,
When the world keeps
Testing me, testing me,testing me

I hear the spiritual in everything. Majority of us are somewhat spiritual, whether its reading horoscopes or trusting Jesus... if we have this so called "spirit" my painting professor was talking about, it's going to come out in our lyrics, movies, and talk with others.

I must have gotten this spiritual detector from my mom. Her favorite CD is Nine Inch Nails. (She's a very beautiful eclectic woman.) She looked at me one day and told me that Nine Inch Nails gets it. That they get spiritual warfare and that they are very spiritual. Not only does she look to hard rock for the ghostly, but also in children's movies. Her latest encounter with the media and God showed up in The Little Princess, a movie from my childhood. I'm watching it when I go home for Easter, so I suppose I'll be the judge of that.

I smile at these almost absurd allegories simply because I know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I was in the car the other day, making my friend Jillian re-listen to a song claiming its spiritual significance. I am at times my mother.


I am also very different from my mother. I love sports, she hates them (and if you bring up sports with her, she will tell you she hates them, that is how deep it goes.) Even though I grew up in a Christian home, I didn't find Jesus in my mom's spiritual clauses. Don't get me wrong, seeds were definitely planted by my parents, but I found my personal need for Jesus at summer camp. People there were like me, they liked to dress up in goofy outfits and make people laugh, they liked to be outside and climb on things--and they knew Jesus. I knew then that I could know him like my mom and dad did, that I could have a real friendship and relationship with this mystical creature I was always hearing about.


It's funny how God seeks us all differently, how His timing is impeccable, and how He brings us to Him in a beautiful sequence that is perfectly personal. He brings everyone to Him differently, through different people, at different times. Not one person's story is the same. God knows our hearts, He seeks us out.

Thomas Merton puts it perfectly: We know Him because He knows us. We know Him when we discover He knows us... We could not seek God unless He were seeking us.


How beautiful. How personal. That this great God of the Universe seeks us out, and is in our everyday lives. How perfect.

No comments:

Me.

My photo
Chicago
I like to dance all night, and some of the day.