Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2007

Everything is Spiritual

I'm in a painting class where my at least seventy year-old Greek professor always has something profound to say. Whether it is about the depths of life, or asking if the old man in a speedo I was painting is my boyfriend, from my professor's lips fell words of enlightenment. (Why was I painting an old man in a speedo? I'm not sure either, I had some idea about painting portraits of strangers and he showed up.)

"You know everything is spiritual. If you have the spirit. Some people have it, and some people don't. Some people see that in everything, there is something spiritual, other people who don't get it think you're stupid. And you just think you're deep and spiritual." Replied my all-knowing professor in regard to a "religious" painting.

This thought got me going and I think he's right. I think everything in life is spiritual. And I am one of those people who has it. I've got that weird knack for thinking things are a "sign" and I see God in even the smallest details, perhaps at times I'm crazy for it, and those who do not have it would definitely think so. But I cannot help myself. I think I've always had it, this capacity for the spirit. Since I was a young girl, God has been imprinted in my daily life. My mom instilled in me her spiritual cliches, such as "It's a God thing" and "Everything happens for a reason," and I always bought into it. I never doubted there being a God. Don't get me wrong, I have moments of questioning, but I always go running straight back to this unknown mystery I find hard to renounce. (Thankfully, however I'm very aware that this is different for many people.)

My mom once told me that if I was ever afraid or having a bad dream or felt attacked, I should just say "Satan Be Gone!" I had to say it out loud though because Satan could not read my mind. So there I was, a seven-year-old tom-boy going to sleep, frightened of my porcelain dolls that enclaved my yellow canopy bed, whispering "Satan Be Gone, Satan Be Gone."

So maybe I was introduced to everything spiritual at an early age, for better or worse, let's be honest, not many kids talk to Satan.

These cliches I was raised on linger in my thoughts, and I realize that not only does my mother say these cheesy sayings, but I do as well. For a moment, I'm astounded that I have become as high camp as church marquees.

I confess, if I get a good parking spot, I thank God for it. Maybe everything in life is not that spiritual, but then again, maybe it is...

No comments:

Me.

My photo
Chicago
I like to dance all night, and some of the day.