Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered!
 How blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute iniquity, 
and in whose spirit there is no deceit!
Psalm 32:1-2 

I read Running with Scissors, by Augusten Burroughs, a while back, and there is very little spiritual matter in this book, except something called "Bible Dipping." It is where you ask a question from the Bible, close your eyes, open it up, point your finger, open your eyes, and hope for a response straight from God. Seems like folly, yet I find it is probably more common than not. More likely I suppose than studying our own poop for unconscious evidence (which they also do in this book.) Let's be honest, we all love a good fortune. We even get it in cookies. 

So I didn't actually "Bible Dip" per say, but last night I was doing a little journaling, and I was heading who knows where as I opened my bible. And the first words I read were from Psalm 32, " I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.." These words always seem to catch my eye, so I stopped, and thought, okay, tell me which way to go, God. Let's see what you've got. So I read the Psalm from the beginning, which is above, and I realized a few things. 

1. God forgives our sins. 
2. Our sins are covered. 
3. Our sins are erased. 

3. really? Yes. The first two I've got down. (Mostly.) I can receive forgiveness, I believe in the unfathomable grace of God covering my sin. But erasure? This one is tough for me. I believe it, because I'm supposed to... but I do not live in a way that shows that I believe this. I am incapable of forgetting my sin. They knock on my shoulder daily... they try and sneak their way in again and again... but God erases them. The victory is already there... 

I wish I could live in this truth better. Oh me of little faith, God help me.  


No comments:

Me.

My photo
Chicago
I like to dance all night, and some of the day.