Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Purple Toes






I intern at a studio in Evanston, where I work with all populations of people. From adults to 2 year olds, I have covered the gamut. One of my favorite groups is with 2-4 year olds and their moms. It is such an interesting world to peer into, moms and their children. One child loves paint. But not with a paintbrush. He loves to paint with his feet. Any opportunity he gets, his feet are on a plate full of paint and he walks around, smiling so big no one can stop him, even his mom. And that's the purpose of the studio. To be free to walk around with paint squishing between your toes, and to enjoy squeezing as much glue out of the bottle as you want. 

I remembered this image as I was writing my thesis. Here is a sneak peek: 

At the art studio I am currently interning at, I often hear people say, “I love being in this space, can I stay here all day?” The studio’s walls are covered in the indulgence of paint that has moved off of paper into the space permanently. Drips of electric pink, dark brown, gold, and green adorn the molding that wraps around the studio. The wood floors have splatters of paint and footprints from children who once immersed their toes in the gush of paint. This space, inhibited by so many different people inspires and invites others to join in on the freedom and yet the boundaries contained in this storefront studio space. We cannot neglect the influence that other people have on our creative spirit. 




grace and peace. 

No comments:

Me.

My photo
Chicago
I like to dance all night, and some of the day.